RE: [Xen-devel] Invalidating buffer cache in dom0

To: "Jacob Gorm Hansen" <jacobg@xxxxxxx>, "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Invalidating buffer cache in dom0
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 19:49:10 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 28 May 2005 18:48:31 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Does anyone know of an ioctl or similar that I could use to
> make Linux forget about (not flush) buffer cache contents, or
> how to disable it?
>
> I have tried reading from the block dev with O_DIRECT but
> that does not help.

Have you tried using raw devices? See "man raw". I've never used them,
but I'd be interested to know whether this works. There's an argument
that we should be using them by default, particularly for people using
using cluster filesystems -- caching stuff in dom0 could be very bad.

Perhaps some of the ocfs2 guys that hang out on the list could comment?

Thanks,
Ian