[Xen-devel] Re: Genapic testing

On 26 May 2005, at 16:47, Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh wrote:

On an 8-way ES7000, Xen boots successfully but the system loops on the
"Time went backwards" message while Dom0 comes up.

Does it just happen during boot, or carry on forever? Is dom0 UP or SMP? It sounds like IRQ0 is not getting through -- we bump time via legacy PIT interrupts. If that doesn't happen then TSC extrapolation works for a second or two but then we wrap and time jumps backwards (we extrapolate using only least 32 bits of the TSC).

I suggest adding tracing to timer_interrupt() in xen/arch/x86/time.c and see whether or not it is getting executed.

The other thing I noticed was that
specifying "apic=verbose" on the Xen command line in grub causes the
default driver to be loaded initially which is alright as the check for
the ES7000 happens later on.

It seems that Linux has a cmdline conflict between genapic and apic.c tracing as to who owns "apic=". Does our behaviour differ from that of native Linux? I could change the parameter name of one or the other within Xen -- any suggestions for which and to what?

 -- Keir