RE: [Xen-devel] Re: Are linker scripts needed?

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Re: Are linker scripts needed?
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 03:04:19 +0100
Cc: "Sharma, Arun" <arun.sharma@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 May 2005 02:03:44 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Major benefit of your approach, from my thought, is that backend
> > driver in service OS can service both para-virtualization and
> > full-firtualization domain then, with a unified channel
> interface and
> > logic, right? I'm trying to understand how 'virtual smm mode' you
> > mentioned can be achieved, and thinking at least following
> > modifications may be required:
>
> I thought that VMX provided a virtual equivalent of SMM,
> where management and emulation code can run under the OS's
> feet without it realising? If this is not provided then I do
> not think the trick can work, as you would need to steal some
> virtual address space in which to execute the qemu code.

I'd be inclined to move to a model where we execute the device emulation
in the root (monitor) VMCS, using the same protection mechanism we use
for para-virtualized guests e.g. segmentation for x86, paging for
x86_64. The device emulation should should work like a normal front-end
driver, connecting via a device channel to a normal backend.

Infact, I really like this approach. It gives good performance, safety,
code reuse, and unifies the control interface. It does require a bit of
hacking of qemu, to give it the execution environment it needs and make
it connect onto the existing back ends.

Arguments against?

Ian