Re: [Xen-devel] Xen repository

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen repository
From: Andrew Thompson <xenuser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:06:56 -0400
Cc: Jim Greer <jbgreer@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 May 2005 13:06:21 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Pratt wrote:
BK's algorithm for slecting the main branch is very 'odd' indeed, and as
it stands we'd loose a great deal of the revision history. I reckon we
could do a much better job of linearizing the history (possibly with a
bit of manual intervention).

I'm not really familiar with bitkeeper or this pick-your-patches style of management/merging. Is there useful documentation outside of the bigkeeper user guide? (googling bitkeeper gives two pages of bitkeeper vs linux/open source hits)

Can anyone think of a way of getting
bitkeeper to output the revision DAG in a parseable form? Having this
would also make it possible to keep the branch structure while
transfering to a tool like mercurial or cogito.

I'm not sure what DAG is, but I read a lkml posting from Linus that stated he had scripted a method of dumping data from BitKeeper, but hadn't used it because he expected it to take days to complete(to pull the kernel source tree).

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/