Re: [Xen-devel] scheduler independent forced vcpu selection

To: Stephan Diestelhorst <sd386@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] scheduler independent forced vcpu selection
From: Ryan Harper <ryanh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 09:55:44 -0500
Cc: Ryan Harper <ryanh@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 May 2005 14:57:25 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
* Stephan Diestelhorst <sd386@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2005-05-18 09:04]:
> Are you calling do_softirq directly? If not then it is quite strange,

No, I just call raise_softirq(SCHEDULE_SOFTIRQ); without a subsequent
do_softirq().

> that this assertion fails.
> The timer assertion might be the old scheduling timer, which gets
> probably reset, but not deleted beforehand... And the on runqueue
> assertion suggests that you are 'stealing' the domain from the
> schedulers queues without giving it a chance to notice.

Could you explain what 'giving it a chance to notice' means?

> I'd guess cloning do_block and appending code from __enter_scheduler
> with some checks (is the 'receiver' domain runnable? if not run proper
> sched.do_schedule) should give you a solid base to start from.

Let me add in a check for domain_runnable and see if that helps.

Thanks for the feedback.  Let me know if you want me to post the patch
of where I'm at right now.

--
Ryan Harper
IBM Corp., Austin, Tx