Re: [Xen-devel] Xen serial console on Bladecenter virtual serial port

To: Rich Persaud <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen serial console on Bladecenter virtual serial port
From: Li Ge <lge@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 12:11:03 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 May 2005 17:10:37 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've got SOL working with Xen on my Bladecenter and saw the similar problem before. Here are a couple of things you might want to check:

1. Check if the serial ports are turned on in BIOS and the "Remote Console Active" should be enabled.
2. Check boot file modification. I use GRUB. Here are the modification I made:
Added lines:
serial --unit=1 --speed=19200
terminal --timeout=10 serial console
Modified line:
kernel /xen,gz dom0_mem=512072 com2=19200,8n1 console=vga, com2 (I used console=ttyS1 before. But it did not work for me for some reason so I changed to com2. )
3. Add ttyS1 to /etc/securetty.

Hope it helps.

Li

Inactive hide details for Rich Persaud <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Rich Persaud <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

          Rich Persaud <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

          05/17/2005 06:48 AM

xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject

[Xen-devel] Xen serial console on Bladecenter virtual serial port

Has anyone accessed Xen or the dom0 Linux serial console on the virtual
serial port of a Bladecenter blade via Serial-over-LAN?

Was able to see bios boot screen and access grub boot menu, but only the
first few characters of the kernel boot sequence are shown, then nothing.

Rich