Re: [Xen-devel] Tracking changes to writable page tables

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Tracking changes to writable page tables
From: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 00:08:58 -0700
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 15 May 2005 07:08:39 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Pratt wrote:
It looks like xenlinux 2.6 now uses writable page tables by default (I can't find the switch to enable/disable them).

I need to track writes to page tables, and I was wondering if it is possible to get a page fault upon writes to read-only mapped page tables, as when writing to other read-only mappings?

Hmm, I can see that the current model makes like difficult for you
(though self-migration is a pretty twisted thing to be trying to do
anyway :-)

Hmm while we are discussing twisted things; would it be possible to implement writable page tables in the guest rather than in Xen?

The guest would then take the fault, unpin and decouple the page table from the page directory, change the protection, and do the reverse when the page table is next used.

I suppose that would be a (somewhat radical) solution to my problem.

Jacob