Re: [Xen-devel] SOLVED - domain that won't boot!!!

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] SOLVED - domain that won't boot!!!
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 16:53:39 +0100
Cc: Tobias Hunger <tobias@xxxxxxxxxxx>, James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Vincent Hanquez <vincent.hanquez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 14 May 2005 15:54:17 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> You are supposed to be able to run driver domains: Those have physical
> access to network and/or block devices and export them to the other
> domains.

That would be a sensible time to use these configuration options in principle.

> These driver domains of course need physical access to the devices while
> they should not be a priviledged guest.

Remember that what you compile into the kernel is independent of the domain's
privilege.  If you switch on the "privileged guest" option and run it in an
unprivileged domain then the privileged driver just won't work.

In 2.0, driver domains are actually privileged anyway.  Reducing their
privilege level will likely be part of later security / robustness work.

Cheers,
Mark