Re: [Xen-devel] Xen debugging question (x86-64)

To: Jerone Young <jyoung5@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen debugging question (x86-64)
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 11:26:10 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:25:53 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
A spontaneous reboot with no error output is almost certainly a triple
fault. Since we have a double fault handler that should trigger on
ring-0 stack overflow, the cause is very likely that you have written
an invalid pagetable base into %cr3. If you do this then even the
double-fault handler is inaccessible and you are toast.

I'd add tracing to write_cr3() in Xen, perhaps gated on
current->domain->id == 1, and I would check that the new domain's page
tables has the Xen mappings correctly copied into the Xen reserved
area in the PML4.

 -- Keir