RE: [Xen-devel] Latest xen-unstable on IBM x440

To: <natasha@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Latest xen-unstable on IBM x440
From: "Nakajima, Jun" <jun.nakajima@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 11:00:26 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 May 2005 18:00:28 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Natasha Jarymowycz wrote:
> The IBM eserver x440 is one of the machines which Linux forces
> to run with acpi=ht.  This doesn't work with Xen, presumably
> because "acpi=off to support machines with broken or no acpi support"
> is functionality not yet provided.  If I boot with acpi=force,
> I can make it through the full boot sequence but the keyboard
> doesn't work though I can log in over the net.  If I don't boot
> with acpi=force then Linux can't find a root fs under Xen.
>
> I have two questions:
> 1. When will acpi=off support be added to Xen?

As far as I remember, acpi=ht and acpi=off means different things. What
IBM x440 requires is "acpi=ht", which uses ACPI tables to get logical
CPUs (for HT), and uses MPS to get PCI interrupt routing info.

> 2. Does anyone have suggestions for ways to work around this
> problem to get as much functionality as possible?

I think the right thing is to get the keyboard (or maybe BIOS) fixed. Is
that USB keyboard or PS/2 keyboard connected to a USB port? Probably SMI
is happening there.

Jun