Re: [Xen-devel] JavaRMI and Xen problem

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] JavaRMI and Xen problem
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:53:07 +0100
Cc: "Dharanikota, Sai" <sai.dharanikota@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:53:00 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I am facing a strange problem with Java RMI and Xen. I will describe the
> problem as well as the experimental results.

Yup, it's definitely a strange looking problem!

> Scenario1: Machine2 is booted with xen as the kernel

How much memory have you configured for dom0?  If it's less than the full
allocation (e.g. if you are reserving space for other VMs) then the JVM / RMI
Registry could be thrashing the swap device?

If it's not that then, as Ian said, some other network performance numbers
(e.g. ttcp, or just ftp a large file across and calculate the bandwidth)
would be interesting.

What version of Xen are you running on?  -stable, -testing or -unstable.  If
you're running -unstable, what revision are you on?

Cheers,
Mark