[Xen-devel] vif stopped working

To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] vif stopped working
From: Nils Toedtmann <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:44:33 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:44:28 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I just booted a new xen- & dom0-kernel. Everything (including several
domUs) seemed to boot up fine. Then i did some operations which
exhausted dom0 memory (yum is a bloody ram eater), but there was plenty
of swap still available. And i played a bit with "xm maxmem Domain-0"
and "xm balloon Domain-0" (trying to give dom0 more memory, but
failed).

When i finished i realized that domU networking stopped. While all domUs
where running and "xm console domU" worked, "xm shutdown domU" and
"service xend restart" failed.

A reboot of dom0 cured it all, so i think the memory shortage or my
playing with "xm {balloon|maxmem} Domain-0" broke xend an xen-
networking.

"stopped networking" means that frames passing from domU/eth0 were
successfully bridged to the according vif* device, but the other
direction was dead: i saw the frames entering the vif, but they never
showed up in domU/eth0.

linux 2.6.11.7 & xen-2.0-testing from yesterday.

/nils.