RE: [Xen-devel] Are linear page tables and writable page tablesincompati

To: "Kip Macy" <kip.macy@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Are linear page tables and writable page tablesincompatible?
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:46:23 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:46:14 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> At the start of day I enable writable page tables - and they
> work, but only when accessed through a separate mapping.
> FreeBSD's i386 pmap treats the page tables as an array that
> is mapped right after userspace. Can writable page tables be
> made to work in this context?

Interesting point, I don't think anyone's ever thought about this
before.

You'd need to maintain a copy of each L2 in which all the entries are
read only, and have the linear pt map slot point at that: Xen needs to
be able to selectively write enable the entries in writable page table
mode.

Ian