Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xen requirments document

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<ncmike@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xen requirments document
From: "Ky Srinivasan" <ksrinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:11:10 -0600
Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:11:25 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mike,

The doc looks good and I think it will be useful to maintain such a document to
track and prioritize development going forward. A couple of comments:

1) Since, we want all the I/O to be hosted in I/O domains (running some version
of Linux or other OS hosting the drivers), you may want to cleanup chapter 4 -
there is a lot of reference to Hypervisor supporting device I/O.

2) It may be useful to separately identify the management partition and list
the set of requirements on the management partition. This could be both the
Virtual machine management functionality that needs to be supported as well as
the different access paradigms supported (for instance CIM based management).

3) core.virt_swap. Is this implying that we would support swapping/paging in
the hypervisor?

4) We may want to have a separate section for real-time requirements. I have
seen a fair amount of interest in using Xen for hosting real-time environments.
The requirements go well beyond just the CPU  scheduling support.

K. Y

>>> "Mike D. Day" <ncmike@xxxxxxxxxx> 4/16/2005 2:21:15 PM >>>
I've posted a version of our Xen requirements document at the following
URL.

http://www.ncultra.org/xen/xen_req.html

I'm interested in comments from the community. We developed these
requirements within IBM to guide our own prioritization, but have always
intended to submit them to the community for review.

If there is interest in maintaining a document like this in the
community, I would be willing to continue working on it in conjunction
with others.

Mike

--
Mike D. Day