[Xen-devel] xen-2.0.4+ nanosleep and maybe other errors

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] xen-2.0.4+ nanosleep and maybe other errors
From: Frank Fricke <frickefr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:04:00 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:58:02 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

I'am experiencing some problems and noticed i'm not the first one.
There seems to be no clue about the problem anywhere on the net
so i'm reporintg it here.
(Should this have been directed to the users list instead?)

The main symptom is tail -f <file> failing in nanosleep in domain 0 every
now and then. Sometimes is just gets stuck. Some other long-running processes
get messed up from time to time, like xend itself.  All kernels have recent
netfilter-patches applied (completely clean, which i think therefore don't
matter) and the deadline diskscheduler compiled in as default.
I'm not seeing any of these errors in my xenU-domain.
The system is P4,ide,debian sarge, all compiled with gcc version
3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-8). TLS, of course, is out of the game.

Lastest configs, dmesgs and strace with the tail-error are attached. I
could not yet get a strace of tail which gets stuck.

I have tested several versions of xen and linux:

P1 = tail/nanosleep failures

P2 = xend lockups
     (no reaction to calls, eating all cpu)

P3 = xen(d) break by restart after P2
     (domains other than 0 break/disappear, wont restart)

version|problem:     P1        P2          P3
2.0.4/2.6.10         *         *

2.0.5/2.6.10         *         *           *

2.0-testing-Apr10    *         (not yet seen in 15h uptime)
    2.6.11.7

2.0-testing-Apr12    (built, to be tested)
    2.6.11.7 (without agp, with default disksched)

Say so, if you need more details and thanks for a cool piece of
Open Source...

          ...Frank