Re: [Xen-devel] Porting 2.6.2 linux kernel to XEN

To: sm229534@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Porting 2.6.2 linux kernel to XEN
From: Tupshin Harper <tupshin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:06:07 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 01:06:10 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sm229534@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello all,

I need to port a 2.6.2 kernel to the Xen architecture, since there aren't
any patches or sparse tree for kernels below 2.6.9 I'd like to know why ?
And also wether that endeavor has been attempted before?

In any case pointers, Help, Advice would be greatly useful. I would like
to end up with something like linux-2.6.2-xen-sparse.

Please Help

Sam

It would very likely be easier to forward port, or otherwise fix whatever issues are preventing you from running a recent kernel than it would be to back port xen to something so old. Also, should you really be comfortable running a kernel that has many known bugs and security vulnerabilities that have been fixed in the last 14 months?

-Tupshin