[Xen-devel] Re: [kaffe] java control of xen

To: Adam Heath <doogie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [kaffe] java control of xen
From: Jim Pick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:56:14 -0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kaffe@xxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 07:43:15 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adam Heath wrote:
In an effort to push xen into more parts of the computing world, I am
announcing the start of a brand new project here at Brainfood.

Our plans are to port Xen to run *inside* a JVM(Kaffe), so that we can make
use of the write-one-run-anywhere mantra.  The magic piece of code that will
enable this is Mips2Java.

Unfortunately, at this time, Xen does not yet run on mips.  So, we are looking
for volunteers to port Xen to mips, so that then we can have Xen run under
Kaffe, which will then let us run it on the final platform, mobile phones.

Sounds crazy.  It's got some hack value, I guess.  :-)

How about x86 to Java?  Here's a starting point:

http://emulin.netfort.gr.jp/

I bookmarked it a long time ago, and I'm mildly intrigued, but not enough to actually try it out, I guess.

Of course, since you'd have to emulate the x86 platform anyways, I'm not sure what running Xen on top of it provides...

I can't imagine anyway that it's going to be fast. I'm imagining that it would be like running Xen on Bochs, but much slower. You'd have to emulate physical memory and the MMU using garbage collection.

BTW -- I'm still working on moving the Kaffe server over to a Xen session on my new server. I'm a bit slow - I'll get it done someday. :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim