Re: [Xen-devel] PACKED in structure is xen.h - newbie (OT)

To: "sting sting" <zstingx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] PACKED in structure is xen.h - newbie (OT)
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:01:12 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:58:03 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 30 Mar 2005, at 12:20, sting sting wrote:

What is this 'PACKED'? is it the __attribute__ ((__packed__)) of gcc (or something near)?

Is there somewhere a macro in Xen which defines it? (or is it a part of some gcc extension?)

It means that the compiler will not add extra padding in between adjacent fields in teh struct. I've been convinced this is not the best way to define the interface structures, so all the PACKED declarations will be disappearing in the near future!

 -- Keir