[Xen-devel] Re: poor domU VBD performance.

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: poor domU VBD performance.
From: peter bier <peter_bier@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:44:29 +0000 (UTC)
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:45:47 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt <at> cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> > I found out that dom0 does file-system IO and raw IO ( using
> > dd as a tool to test
> > throughput from the disk ) is about exactly the same as when
> > using a standard
> > linux kernel without XEN. But the raw IO from DomU to an
> > unused disk ( a second
> > disk in the system ) is limited to fourty percent of the
> > speed I get within Dom0.
>
> Just to be clear: you're doing a dd performance test within dom0 to the
> exact same partition on the 2nd disk that you're using when you start
> the domU and finding that the domU 'dd' performance is 40% of the dom0
> performance?
>
> I've not heard of anyone else having problems like this. What happens if
> you use a partition on the 1st disk?
>
> What chipset is the IDE controller? What device (e.g. sda1) are you
> exporting the disk partition into the domU as?
>
> Are you sure dom 0 is idle when doing the dd test in the domU?
>
> Ian

> http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_ide95&alloc_id396&op=click

Yes I do the performance testing using dd. It's only a simple "benchmark" but
its results seem to indicate
a fundamental issue. I did the tests with the same partitions from DOM0 just as
DomU. I used both disks
and Dom0 achieved in all experiments 2.5 times the transfer rate of DomU.

I do not know the chipset of my IDE controller on my computer at home, while I
know that in the office it
pas a Promise raid controller ( I am neither at home nor in the office
momentarily ) . I am sure, that the
system was idle during all test ( meaning that there was only the standard
system running with no busy
jobs and no user program consuming CPU or IO resources.

I am very interested about Xen, but I need to fiy that problem.
If there is any "checklist" how to configure XEN efficiently, I might be able to
fix the problem myself

Thanks

Peter Bier