Re: [Xen-devel] [history] VMM Quadrants

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [history] VMM Quadrants
From: maney@xxxxxxxxx (Martin Maney)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:05:14 -0600
Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:06:18 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 03:01:01PM -0500, Rich Persaud wrote:
> Denali, VMware, User-Mode Linux (is Fig. 3 correct? where would Xen go?)
>
>   http://www.eecs.umich.edu/techreports/cse/2002/CSE-TR-465-02.pdf

I don't remember seeing any answer to this (which may say more about my
memory than what actually happened), but since I was browsing through
the spool, looking for seed material for wiki pages, I was just looking
at this.  I may be wrong, but I'd guess that Xen 1.2 would go about
halfway between VM/370 and Denali (like both it directly and solely
controlled the hardware, but it supported more of the real architecture
for its guests than Denali, eg., virtual memory).  Given only two
dimensions, I suppose Xen 2 has drifted somewhat to the left, as it has
offloaded most of the hardware management onto dom0.  Perhaps it would
be more accurate to add a third dimension and place X2.0 out of the
plane of the graph (to represent the fact that the hardware-managing
host is actually one of its virtual machines - a rather level-confusing
approach) as well as about as far right as VMware.  Xen-unstable is
confusing things even more, probably.

(I'd forgotten about your followup with the longer list of papers.  Is
that available on the web somewhere that I could link to?)

--
Allen Funt was one of the great psychologists of the twentieth century.
His informal experiments and demonstrations on "Candid Camera"