[Xen-devel] No interrupts on ttyS0 and ttyS1

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] No interrupts on ttyS0 and ttyS1
From: Mark Hurenkamp <Mark.Hurenkamp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:43:50 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:04:14 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm trying to connect my linux workstation to my xen-linux server
using a serial null-modem cable (want my server to monitor the
workstation console), but it seems I'm running into some
problems :-(

My first try was to use the xen serial driver to connect to the
workstation, however I was not succesfull in getting the link
established.
I can write from Xen and receive on the workstation, but whatever
I write from the workstation is not received by the server :-(.

Suspecting it might have something to do with xen's console
interfering, I decided to try with linux native 8250 driver, and so
rebuilt the kernel, and boot with xencons=off.
However, symptoms are still the same, the output of the workstation
does not get to the xen server.

Looking at /proc/interrupts, it seems that the counter does not
go up, so I am wondering, does Xen pass the serial interrupts through
to domain 0 if it is not configured to use serial port output?

I even started to suspect the cable was bad, however connecting
the workstation to my laptop seems to work fine, and reversing the
cable does not reverse the behaviour...

Any ideas what I can do?

Warm regards,
Mark.