Re: [Xen-devel] __va() vs phys_to_virt()

On Friday 18 March 2005 12:59, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Friday, March 18, 2005 10:46 am, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> > On Friday 18 March 2005 12:45, Xin Zhao wrote:
> > > I thought they are the same. phys_to_virt() essentially calls __va().
> >
> > They are implemented the same on x86, but that does not imply they mean
> > the same thing.
>
> A quick grep shows that most platforms implement __va and phys_to_virt the
> same way, as addr + PAGE_OFFSET.  But alpha seems to do phys_to_virt a
> little differently.  There may be others though, it was only a quick scan.

I should clarify that I'm not talking about Linux, but rather the Xen core.
Linux's use is obviously related, as Xen was a copy-and-paste job, but I'm
asking specifically how/if the meanings of these functions differ in Xen.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center