[Xen-devel] Re: NetBSD port and a couple of remarks

Christian Limpach dixit:

>I have made a NetBSD-current kernel which boots on Xen.  It still has some
>problems but it's good enough to boot multi-user and allows logins.

Just announcing...

There's an operating system called MirOS, which is a derivate of
OpenBSD, where OpenBSD is a derivate of NetBSD(tm).

The OpenBSD people are reluctant even thinking of integrating
Xen support.

MirOS is run by a five-man developer team, but we'd really like
to get Xen supported (in addition to the already existing and
working i386, sparc and nearly completed macppc support).

I'm the founder and head of the MirOS Project, and myself pretty
good at x86 asm (intel syntax) and boot loaders, but don't have
got the time for porting it to Xen, nor much experience with
kernel programming (in C and for Unix).

If someone would consider porting MirOS BSD/i386 to Xen in the
same manner as you did for NetBSD(tm)/i386, I'd be grateful.
If code duplication would be avoided whenever possible, it'd
be even better.
You'll get complete freedom what to do with the port, our only
requirements are:
* it's BSD licenced or similar (as with nbsd)
* it's readable code
* it works (at least for Domain N)
If you provide more (e.g. Domain 0 support, documentation,
continue to hacking on it and not do it as a one-shot project),
the better.

Your reward is being mentioned as a MirOS contributor, being
hated even more by the OpenBSD people ;-) and working with a
team of two (active) European and one (more or less active)
US American developer, joined by an inactive developer each
from Europe and Canada.

Sorry I don't have more to offer, but we're mostly a fun for
ourselfes project.

We're using gcc 3.4.4 (from CVS), binutils mainline (from CVS)
and other stuff, and are pretty flexible in other matters as
well, so I hope working with us should be easy. Having installed
and used OpenBSD at least once before helps, though.

or the developers-only list at miros-dev@ if you're interested.

bye,
//mirabile
--
> [...] Echtzeit hat weniger mit "Speed"[...] zu tun, sondern damit, daß der
> richtige Prozeß voraussagbar rechtzeitig sein Zeitscheibchen bekommt.
Wir haben uns[...] geeinigt, dass das verwendete Echtzeit-Betriebssystem[...]
weil selbst einfachste Operationen *echt* *Zeit* brauchen.      (aus d.a.s.r)