Re: [Xen-devel] More questions on Xen

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] More questions on Xen
From: Franck <franck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:16:09 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:18:10 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

i've a problem with xen testing and my server.

Configuration :
Debian sarge on host
2 x celeron 366 with 256 Mo RAM
1 HD scsi 9Go
1 HD IDE 20 Go
1 scsi card (tmscsim)

make dist <= OK
sh install.sh <= OK
I've modify grub and the kernel vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 boot and 2 guest OS are also lauching :)

But, on my host in vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0, only 1 CPU is detected and my

This is OK, each guest only sees one processor. If you start another domain it will use the second one.
No, i don't think because i'm on my host guest, not in guest.

scsi card is not recognized :(

You should compile your scsi driver in dom0.

OK, now that's work fine :)

I've also build my own kernel with the doc (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/readmes/user/user.html#SECTION02230000000000000000) but, on boot, my server always restart.

My questions are :
- How can i have SMP support on host
- How can i have my scsi card on host
- How can i have more modules for host system

You must recompile everything. Try again :-)

Is it possible to recompile host and guest with 2 different config ?
On host xen0, i'm wanting all in modules. But in guest kernel, xenU, i don't want module support. Can i do this ?

cd linux-2.6.10-xen0
make ARCH=xen menuconfig <= changing everything i want in xen0
cd ..
cd linux-2.6.10-xenU
make ARCH=xen menuconfig <= changing everything i want for xenU
cd ..
make
make install
changing grub