Re: [Xen-devel] xen vs. vserver

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xen vs. vserver
From: Mark Williamson <Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:43:04 +0000
Cc: Hasse Hagen Johansen <hhj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:51:44 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> In your faq and performance comparisons I don't see anything about the
> differences between xen & vserver. What is the difference. What will I
> get using xen?

I would expect the performance difference between vserver and native Linux to
be virtually nil, so imagine all the Linux bars in the benchmarks were for
vservers.  Xen offers a whole load of other features, over vservers:
* Stronger resource isolation between VMs (last I heard, some of this was
available for vservers with additional patching but I think Xen's approach is
more comprehensive)
  - VMs are scheduled pre-emptively
  - there are strict controls on VM memory usage
  - processes in one VM can't use all the file descriptors on the system and
thus deny service to processes in another VM
  - etc, etc.
* Stronger security guarantees
  - kernel exploits in one virtual machine do not compromise the other virtual
machines on the system
* Live migration of virtual machines
  - move running virtual machines to another host without stopping them
* Suspend / resume of virtual machines
  - pickle a virtual machine's state to disk and resume it later
* Run a different (user-specified, if you want) kernel in each virtual
machine.  These may be different versions of the Linux kernel, or other OSs
such as FreeBSD, NetBSD, Plan9.  This does not imply any extra trust of the
user concerned.
* Give a single virtual machine multiple IP addresses on multiple virtual
interfaces
* A couple of less commonly used features that we hope to expand upon are:
  - vnets (secure virtual link-layer networks that may involve multiple
virtual machines on multiple hosts)
  - driver domains (sandboxed, restartable device drivers so that driver
faults won't bring down the machine)

> I know several who are using vserver and have also tried it myself. I
> probably also try xen ;-)

Personally I really like both Xen and vservers.  I think they're complimentary
technologies - it should be possible (with a bit of patching) to run vservers
within a Xen virtual machine.

HTH,
Mark