[Xen-devel] Some general questions

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Some general questions
From: Jorma Jakowitsch <jorma.jakowitsch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:29:08 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:28:55 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi list,

I fetched the xen-2.0.4 source for installation and let it built 2.6.10
kernels and setup some domains to understand and test xen for my needs.

I'm not too familiar with LVM so I decided to start with harddrive
partitions for my domains.

Hardware: 1024MB RAM, hda for Domain-0 and hdb for the virtual machines.

dom0 is started with 128MB running the statically compiled 2.6.10-xen0

I created two systems on hdb1 and hdb3 via debootstrap (using Woody),
configured and unmounted them later for usage with xen.
I wanted to setup a Domain1 with 512MB RAM and Domain2 with the
remaining 384MB but one of the machines didn't start due to lack of free
memory, with the following message:
Error: Error creating domain: (12, 'Cannot allocate memory')

After starting the domains, I thought I could mount the partition into a
backup directory, save the data and unmount it again (so nobody would
write external data to the machine) but xen seems to store file changes
in memory only.

My questions:
- - Is there a way to use the whole RAM, if not, how much of the memory
can be used for the domains? It seems I can only use approximately 384MB
per domain (or 512 and 256).
- - Possibly there are much better solutions than using disk partitions.
What I need is a possibility to backup the domains, i.e. via cron. Is
there a way to create backups of a running/live domain?
- - I'd prefer having kernel without loadable module support but need
different support for my client kernels. Is there a way to tell during `
`make` that I need a kernel for my vpn-system in domain1 and another
kernel for my samba-server and so on? And can I have any type of kernel
on my VMs, i.e. 2.6.10 for the dom0, 2.6.9 for domain1 and 2.4.10
running domain2?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Jorma

P.S. Almost forgot that: I also didn't find an explanation for the
different states of a VM (r----, -b--- and so on). What states do exist
and what do they mean? Maybe anyone could tell me where I can find that.