Re: [Xen-devel] autotoolizing xen?

To: "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] autotoolizing xen?
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:03:40 -0600
Cc: Tobias Hunger <tobias@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:06:10 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ronald G. Minnich wrote:

oh, please don't do this. I do not like those things at all.
Right now, xen-unstable doesn't build if you don't have Xlibs installed. This is because of ioemu. ioemu is not required to run Xen on a non-VT system.

We definitely need a smarter build system that can figure out "hey, I don't have xlib, so don't build ioemu."

autoconf does that for you. I think the intention is just to autoconfize the tools/ directory. You get all sorts of good things for free (cross-compilation support, separate build/src directories, etc.).

I think it's fair to not use tools we don't want (libtool, automake maybe) but it seems to make sense to at least use autoconf.

Regards,
Anthony Liguori

Just my $.02

ron