Re: [Xen-devel] Invalid or unsupported executable format, or is it a rei

To: "Filip Sergeys" <filip.sergeys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Invalid or unsupported executable format, or is it a reiserfs problem?
From: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:32:48 +0000
Cc: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:00:21 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 14:56, Steven Hand wrote:
>
>     > Our newly build xen kernel does not boot. The error message is : Invalid
>     > or unsupported executable format.
>     >
>     > I have build xen from the xen-2.0.4 source (make world, make install) on
>     > a debian sarge system.
>     > I have not changed any of the kernel configurations, I did make an
>     > initrd image.
>     > The entry in my menu.lst is :
>     >
>     > title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.10-xen0
>     > root            (hd0,0) # I also tried without this line.
>     > kernel          /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=64000
>     > module          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 root=/dev/hda1 ro
>     > module          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-xen0 # Also tried without this
>     > line
>     >
>     > The server's / (/boot) partition is reiserfs. I wonder if this is the
>     > problem? I found messages saying that it doesn't work with reiserfs and
>     > others that say it should work. What is the final answer?
>     > Looking in the kernel config file: reiserfs is build into the kernel,
>     > not as a module.
>
>     What does `file /boot/xen.gz' say?
>
> /boot/xen.gz: gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression
>
>     What does `cat /boot/xen.gz | gunzip -c | file -` say?
>
> /dev/stdin: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
> statically linked, stripped

Ok, that looks good.

>     > As a side note: the standard debian 2.6.8-2 kernel works perfectly.

Hmm: what is the menu.lst you use for that? In particular, is the
kernel you boot in the same directory as xen.gz?

What's the overall makeup of your partitions + filesystems in the
machine? I'm guessing /dev/hda1 is { /boot, reiserfs } -- what
about the rest of the system?

> Thinking ahead, suppose reiserfs has to be dropped, will it suffice to
> just convert the /boot partition to ext3 or does the entire / partition
> need to be converted?

Well ideally it should all "just work" even with reiserfs as /boot.

How did you get xen.gz onto /boot? Did you copy it from an ext2/3
partition? There seems to be something weird about reiserfs and
grub involving the "-notail" mount option...

cheers,

S.