[Xen-devel] console driver - How domain0 processes console messages ?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] console driver - How domain0 processes console messages ?
From: Richard <judicator3@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:10:26 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:11:24 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I am trying to undestand how the console driver works.
The files of interests are:
1.) drivers/xen/console/console.c
2.) arch/xen/kernel/ctrl_if.c

That is what I undestand so far. When an unpriveleged domain (say
domain1) wants to write to the console, the following happens:

1.) A function like kcons_write() is invoked to write the string to a
buffer "wbuf".
2.) Function __xencons_tx_flush() is  called to packet the characters
in the buffer "wbuf" into messages of type "ctrl_msg_t".
3.) A function like ctrl_if_send_message_noblock() is then called to
place the messages "ctrl_msg_t" into the communication ring that is
shared between dom1 and dom0.
4.) Function ctrl_if_notify_controller() is then called to send an
event notification to  domain0

Steps 1 to 4 occur in domain1 (the unprivileged domain). Now at the
over end of the event channel, I am trying to figure out where in
domain0 the event notification is being received and how it is being
processed. I am trying to undestand how domain0 processes console
messages  (i.e messages with type CMSG_CONSOLE and subtype
CMSG_CONSOLE_DATA).

Thanks
Richard