RE: [Xen-devel] serial console stopped working

To: Michael A Fetterman <Michael.Fetterman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] serial console stopped working
From: Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:40:02 -0500 (EST)
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:41:50 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Michael A Fetterman wrote:

I've noticed this too. However, it's not reliable.

I can boot the same xen/xenolinux images and have the console work,
and subsequently have it not work.  And then work again.  I haven't
figured out what causes it to change states yet.

When the serial console does not work, Xen spews out this line
when I type my first character at mgetty:

(XEN) Unexpected IRQ trap at vector 29.

If I type into the serial console while eth0 is being initialised,
I get an infinite (well, I stopped after 5 minutes) sequence of:

(XEN) Unexpected IRQ trap at vector 79.
(XEN) Unexpected IRQ trap at vector 79.
(XEN) Unexpected IRQ trap at vector 79.

I haven't yet run into the magical way to make it work ...

Note that I _can_ type letters into the serial console during
the earlier phases of the bootup process, eg. before udev is
started.