RE: [Xen-devel] [patch 5/5] xen: net features

To: "Jody Belka" <lists-xen@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] [patch 5/5] xen: net features
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 01:54:57 -0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 01:57:33 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> How about a sysfs attribute that we can push arbitary data into (up to
> a set maximum length) from xend? or maybe a sysfs attribute
> folder, and
> then pass key=value pairs as the data, each of which appears
> as an entry
> in the sysfs folder. Then you just use the interface name (which we
> obviously have in the hotplug script) to index into the sysfs tree.

I can't make my mind up on this. I can see how it would be useful to
have this information available, but I have a general aversion to
storing information in the kernel that doesn't strictly need to be
there.

If we use the hotplug infrastructure, the only information we can
communicate via the standard scripts is the backend MAC address, which
in the case of a driver domain having a new client added dynamically
means that we'll have to have some mechansism to poke in a new
configuration file anyhow. Hence, I'm not sure the sysfs entries buy us
much.

Ian