[Xen-devel] Re: Back end domains : input desired

> > > BE_VNIC_2:  Back end for a "virtual nic"/bridge for DomU to DomU
> > > communication (DMZ).
> >
> > So does this have any connections to the physical network cards at all?
>
> No. Could I possibly use the "dummy" driver to handle this requirement?

Don't think so.  The main problem is that this domain needs to have privileges
to access other domains memory (otherwise the backend driver doesn't work).
I don't know of a way to specify this in a domain config.

> > Clock sync can probably only occur from dom0 at the moment.  Likewise for
> > AGP access (although one user had some success in giving a graphics card
> > to a domU, it's not fully working yet).
>
> Ok, I can live with that for the moment ... hopefully this will be
> addressed in the near future?

Nobody working on giving graphics cards to non-0 domains AFAIK.  The clock
syncing is probably fairly straightforward (if indeed it hasn't been sorted
already) and just needs someone to take the time to tweak it.

> > Just stick all the drivers you need into a xen0 kernel, then use that
> > kernel in any domain that's talking to the hardware.  You can use a xen0
> > kernel anywhere.
>
> Wow, so you can run "multiple" dom0 images (one real dom0) - is there
> anything I need to add to the .sxp file to differentiate the non-dom0
> domains from the real Dom0?

You can use a Xen0 kernel in any domain, including unpriv domains.  XenU
kernels are just included because they're smaller (because they don't
included drivers for real hardware).

> > Try physdev_dom0_hide - pci_dom0_hide is a bug that got introduced to the
> > docs at some point (I think it has now been fixed).
> > >
> Not as of yesterday with regards to the doc available on your website.

Errr, might be fixed in the testing tree :-/  I'll try to remember to sort
this out once and for all when I get home today.

> > > 4)  It would be preferred to run X in a domain separate from Dom0, but
> > > still be accessible for use on the local console without having to
> > > install X and a VNC client in DOM0.  Is this possible, or am I just
> > > dreaming here?
> >
> > Possible in theory, in practice this doesn't quite work yet.
>
> Good to know - I'll try it anyways and see if I'm lucky one of the lucky
> few, or if I have to wait.

We'd be interested to get this working but it's likely to take a bit of time
on your side.  The guy who trying this out had a second PCI graphics card
which he was giving to the domain (along with a USB controller for mouse and
keyboard).   He just had trouble persuading X to start because of some
weirdness with virtual terminals...

You'd need a second display device because dom0 will grab the primary on
bootup.

Cheers,
Mark