Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel crash

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 13:54, Ian Pratt wrote:
> Edit .config and set "# CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE is not set" etc.

I did. The flags reappear during make ARCH=xen and the consoles get added to
my kernel in spite of those settings. That is why I edited the Kconfig files.
Ugly but works...

> You'll also need console=ttyS0 on the kernel command line (please check
> the syntax).

My results so far:
extra="": crash
extra="console=xen": no output (hoping that this turns of the other consoles)
extra="console=tty2": crash
extra="console=ttyS0": no output
extra="xencons=ttyS console=ttyS0": crash
extra="xencons=off": no output
extra="xencons=off console=ttyS0": no output
extra="xencons=off console=tty1": no output
No config_vm, config_vgaconsole, etc. (nothing set in .config that contains
"CONS"): crash
No config_vm, ... with modified Kconfig files: no output

> Please remind me of what you're trying to set up.

Currently I am trying to set up xen for my router at home. That is the only
box I do not absolutely need to work at all times that is powerful enough to
handle xen.

I am trying to use dom0 for the management of domains only, trying not to have
packets traveling through that domain. dom1 is supposed to handle the
internal NIC and do the bridging/routing (still undecided on what to use
here) for other VMs that normally happens in dom0. I then want to set up the
router with access to the external/WLAN NICs in dom2 (connecting to dom2) and
a intranet server in dom3 (also talking to dom2 for the intranet
connectivity). I think this is a nice playground to try the more advanced
features of xen and getting to know the system better.

So far I got dom0 with a custom xen0-based kernel (all the network drivers
removed) and dom3 with the default xenU kernel up. Both work fine. I am now
trying to setup dom1 and move the networking there. dom2 handling the
external NICs should be similar to setup to dom1 with a bit of iptable magic
added.

So how does the console work? How does the console output end up on a port in
dom0?

--
Gruss,
Tobias