Re: [Xen-devel] What is domain creation flow-chart in XEND

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] What is domain creation flow-chart in XEND
From: Mark Williamson <Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:06:23 +0000
Cc: Anthony Liguori <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nauzad Sadry <nauzad@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:26:36 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  From what I can tell, Linux always listens on event channel 1.  So,
> Xend just binds a local port to the domains port 1.  After binding, it
> maps a shared memory region and works on a ring queue passing back and
> forth control_msg_t structures.  This is how virtual devices are setup.
>
> I imagine each device gets it's own channel but I do not know for sure.

Every domain has a "control interface" as you described, which is used for low
bandwidth communications (console and various configuration messages).
Amongst other things, the control channel is used to negotiate the locations
of shared memory pages that the network and block drivers can use for
high-bandwidth communications.

> The domain's kernel I believe.

See linux-2.6.10-sparse/arch/xen/kernel/ctrl_if.c and
linux-2.6.10-sparse/include/asm-xen/ctrl_if.h for code relating to the kernel
control interface driver.

> >If someone can point me to some document for more details I would
> > appreciate it

Andy wrote an explanation of how the block device drivers work.  It's in
docs/misc/blkif-drivers-explained.txt.  You might find some pertinent
information there, particularly when you look at how the drivers talk to each
other.

HTH,
Mark