Re: [Xen-devel] FreeBSD/Xen ugliness

Kip:

Well, I have good news; thanks to Darren Tucker pointing out that the boot.netif.* parameters _have_ to be added, I was able to successfully boot your FreeBSD/Xen kernel. It seems to work okay so far. It fairly regularly (every few minutes or so) spits out a line like:

Expensive timeout(9) function: 0xc00b0bd0(0) 0.010000854 s

at me, but it seems to otherwise behave as FreeBSD should. The only thing I've noticed so far is that, looking at the output of 'xm list', its domain's virtual-time clock seems to grow at a constant rate. I'm guessing this means it doesn't call up to the hypervisor and say "Please schedule someone else, I'm idle right now" when it has nothing to do. It doesn't seem to affect the performance of other domains though, but I thought it worth pointing out. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about FreeBSD's scheduler to make the necessary changes to make this work as it should. I'll have to see about getting a proper full CVS pull of the sys/ tree for 5.2.1 on my FreeBSD install in VMware, and see if I can make a FreeBSD kernel build work; however, I'd like to see the 5.3 kernel when you get around to it.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@xxxxxxxxxx