[Xen-devel] Xen/ia64: hypercall support

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen/ia64: hypercall support
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:18:24 +0000 (UTC)
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:19:40 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>       I am talking about the "real hypercall" like IA32/XEN did for
> the para-virtualization.

Yes, I am talking about real hypercalls like Xen/x86 also.
Linux makes calls to EFI/PAL/SAL that must be virtualized
(for example: how many bits in region registers?  what is
my memory map?).  I just took a different approach which didn't
require changing the Linux source:

In vBlades, these calls were manually replaced (paravirtualized)
in the Linux source with hypercalls.  However, part of the
vBlades research was to minimize the number of changes to the
guest while maximizing performance (optimized paravirtualization).
Since EFI/PAL/SAL calls are all table-based and well-architected,
I wondered (in vBlades) if the calls could be intercepted below
the guest so that the guest source need not be modified/para-
virtualized for these infrequent, non-performance-sensitive
calls.  But when Xen was announced HP shelved vBlades so I
never got around to trying it out.

So, when developing Xen/ia64 I tried this technique and it
worked:  No changes are made to the guest; when the guest is
loaded and started (using the standard elilo interface), the
EFI/SAL/PAL function tables it is given have been modified to
do a hypercall to Xen.

So there is already a "real hypercall" interface architected,
designed, and working in Xen/ia64.  It is just indirectly
used and currently invisible to the guest.  It will definitely
need to be made explicitly visible to improve performance.
I just wasn't focused on performance for the alpha release.

> For the EFI/SAL/PAL calls, maybe it is better
> to be implemented in guest BIOS.

Please explain further.

Thanks!
Dan