RE: [Xen-devel] AFS-based VBD backend

To: "Steve Traugott" <stevegt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] AFS-based VBD backend
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:38:53 -0000
Cc: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:40:18 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > Do you still see hangs with 2.6.9 kernels?
>
> We're not on 2.6.x yet, due to lagging OpenAFS support.

Interesting. Is 2.6 OpenAFS support being actively worked on? Who by?

> I am
> seeing the complaints about NFS roots in early 2.6 kernels
> though -- do you have any reason to think it's better now than 2.4?

Use dom0 2.4 for AFS support, run unfsd to export to 2.6 domU's.

It's well worth a try...

> > > One variation on that theme that I have tested is an enbd server
> > > running on an AFS client, serving block devices to dom0
> on another
> > > machine.  ;-) Slow, but seems stable.
> > > Haven't tried same-machine with that either, because it
> eats about
> > > 30% CPU on the enbd server under load.
> >
> > We use redhat gnbd in preference to enbd.
>
> I noticed that.  You said something last October about
> running both the gnbd client and server in dom0 on a number
> of machines -- I thought importing from the same machine
> would cause a deadlock, so I've been trying to figure out
> what you're actually doing.

It doesn't make sense to do a loopback import (not sure whether it would
deadlock or not, but I can believe it).

Running client and server in dom0 and importing/exporting to other
machines seems to work fine.

Ian