[Xen-devel] Question about /lib/tls

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Question about /lib/tls
From: Nuutti Kotivuori <naked@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:26:41 +0200
Cache-post-path: aka.i.naked.iki.fi!unknown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cancel-lock: sha1:C0w4+JV9SJIXi6PCrpD7A8Dbv4s=
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:27:24 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
As I understand it - emulating the standard /lib/tls behaviour
efficiently and properly with Xen is tricky. However, a change in libc
could make it easier to implement or something? And this change could
work with Xen and outside Xen?

Now, it might be a while before such a change could be gotten into
upstream glibc, and even longer before it would trickle down to
distributions.

But, my question is that does the change break binary compatibility?
If I were to recompile glibc myself, could I add a patch that would
make /lib/tls work for Xen and outside Xen? Could I use that glibc
without recompiling all my applications?

And ofcourse - was this change in libc just discussed as a possible
alternative, or does it already exist somewhere? If it doesn't, would
it be hard to do? Would Xen need to be modified to take advantage of
this new support?

TIA,
-- Naked