[Xen-devel] Can't get a VM to use more than ~900M

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Can't get a VM to use more than ~900M
From: "Goldenhar, Josh" <goldenha@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:47:44 -0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:51:23 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey all - sorry for any formatting errors, I'm using MS Outlook
In a new job here - I'm as ashamed as you are shocked... ;-)

I've looked through the archive and haven't spotted an answer to
this, it's driving me a little buggy.

I have an HP DL360 G3 - 2x 2.8GHz Xeons with 4.5GB of RAM.
I'm running the precompiled 2.0.1 Xen you can download. I'm
Aware I can only make use of up to 4GB total.

The dom0 kernel, or the domU kernel only seems to address about
900MB (per top, /proc/meminfo: MemTotal:       904312 kB)
Regardless of what I set it to. I have one instance of a VM set up
With 2GB or RAM:
Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU  State  Time(s)  Console
Domain-0           0      507    0  r----     91.4
ObidosTest         1     2047    1  r----    978.2    9601

Were you can see that ObidosTest has been started with 2048MB
But cat /proc/xen/memory_target reveals 939524096

When I've modified grub.conf mem_dom0= line to anything over 900MB
It also tops out at 900MB.

Xm baloon commands don't seem to make a difference either...

Help?

Thanks,

Josh