[Xen-devel] netbsd problems

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] netbsd problems
From: Jody Belka <lists-xen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:40:14 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 05:37:32 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I've been trying to get a netbsd domain up and running to play with
under xen2, but i've been having some issues.

If i try and use the install kernel supplied on the xen website,
it locks up after the line:

    init: copying out path `/sbin/init' 11

during the boot sequence. If i boot with no vif enabled, it doesn't
even get that far, stopping after detecting the block device i've
provided, but before finding the ramdisk embedded into the kernel
file.

If instead i try and boot off one of the fs images to be found on
the netbsd iso, and my own kernel netbsd complains that it can't
find a filesystem type it knows about (this with everything under
the sun built in).

Now, if i create an ext2 filesystem on my block device, and extract
out the base and etc sets to it, then i can boot into a netbsd
domain perfectly, but i really do want to use the installer,
instead of having to do everything manually.

As an extra point, is ffs a better filesystem than ext2? And if so,
better enough to put up with not being able to read from my dom0?

Hoping these are all simple issues,

Jody Belka
knew (at) pimb (dot) org