Re: [Xen-devel] Problem when making a domain

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Problem when making a domain
From: aq <aquynh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 03:41:01 +0900
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:42:24 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

> > Doesn't look like it from your boot messages. It's either a garbage
> > file, or it needs decompressing.
>
> You could try running file(1) on it to determine type.

I check again the rootfs, and found nothing wrong, like below
---
$ file rootfs
rootfs: Linux rev 1.0 ext2 filesystem data
---

I can even mount the rootfs (with -o loop), and found all the data
inside it in perfectly shape.

One more thing I noticed in the bootup message is:
---
fsck.ext2: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/ram0
---

It seems the bootup process tried to check /dev/ram0? why is that? I
expect it would check /dev/hda1, like what I declared in my
configuration file (!!??)

Please help me. I struggle a lot at this step. Making a first domain
in Xen looks tedious for me ;-)

I posted again my configuration file (which follows the demo in the
2.0 manual, with ttylinux as rootfs).

Here is my configuration file:
----
$ cat tty.xm
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-xenU"
memory = 64
name = "tty"
disk = [ 'file:~/myxen/rootfs,hda1,w' ]
root = "/dev/hda1 ro"
----

And finally here is the excerpt of bootup message. It always ask me to
enter root password then it enters System maintenance mode, which
mounts / as read-only:

----
Starting fsck for root filesystem.
e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext2: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/ram0

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

WARNING: Errors found while checking root filesystem.
You can login as root now, the system will reboot after logout.

Give root password for system maintenance (or type Control-D for
normal startup):

----

Best regards,
AQ