[Xen-devel] FC3 problem using 2.0.1

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] FC3 problem using 2.0.1
From: "Väino Vaher" <vv@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 18:37:43 +0100 (CET)
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:57:27 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
After installing Xen 2.0.1 (from binary tarbal) on Fedora Core 3 the
system refuses to boot:
1) I alter Grub (see end of this message)
2) I re-boot and  select Xen (2.6.9-Xen0)
3) The boot rolls fine until ...

a) if i use a initrd file (initrd-fc3.img or the one provided with FC3)

 umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
 Panic: not syncing: ...
 <This part is hard to read, since the machine immediatelly reboots>

b) w/o the initrd module (last line in my grub configuration) the boot
halts with the following messages:
 VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy
 VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

I already have a server (similar but not identical) running Xen 2.0 (not
2.0.1) off a Debian Woody (3.0r2) base. This machine boots fine w/o any
need for a ramdisk, even though it is equipped with a MegaRAID and some
other goodies.Obviously the FC3 install wants a ramdisk; can anyone advise me
on how to
get this thing working?
My 'menu.lst' file looks like this:
default=0
timeout=5
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
title Xen 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6.9
  kernel /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 console=vga
  module /boot/vmlinux-syms-2.6.9-xen0 root=/dev/sda1 ro console=tty0
  module /boot/initrd-fc3.img

(The 'syms' kernel is an attempt to extract some boot debug info).

The system is a stock HP NetServer LPr w 1GB RAM and 2 SCSI disks. Runs
all flavours of Linux, including FC3, Debian etc. A truly generic PIII
computer.