[Xen-devel] 'Interrupted system call' booting domains

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] 'Interrupted system call' booting domains
From: "Tom Hibbert" <tom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:24:32 +1300
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 05:51:02 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all

I am a recent (as of this weekend) convert to Xen and I have to say I am very, very impressed!

I am now planning a project to create a default Xen domain-0 installation CD based on Debian, providing an easy to use system for creating
additional domains at install time.

But first I need to iron out some issues with my personal Xen installation.

When I create the domains (xm create -f /etc/xen/auto/dom1 etc) I sometimes get the error 'Interrupted system call'. Interrogating the xend-debug.log file yeilds the following which is the only discernable error:

ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Device or resource error

This would say to me that I am using all 8 loop devices. I upped the max_loop parameter on boot to 255, but it hasnt fixed the issue.

As I said before I only get this error sometimes. If i repeat the xm create command, it usually starts the domain the second time. The problem with this is that I cant rely on the domains to get automatically restarted after reboot.

Here is the complete output from xend-debug.log if that helps.

network start bridge=xen-br0 netdev=eth0 antispoof=no
VIRTUAL MEMORY ARRANGEMENT:
 Loaded kernel: c0100000->c038ad18
 Init. ramdisk: c038b000->c038b000
 Phys-Mach map: c038b000->c039b000
 Page tables:   c039b000->c039e000
 Start info:    c039e000->c039f000
 Boot stack:    c039f000->c03a0000
 TOTAL:         c0000000->c0800000
 ENTRY ADDRESS: c0100000
ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Device or resource busy
op_create> Deferred Exception creating domain: [Errno 4] Interrupted system call
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 338, in _runCallbacks
    self.result = callback(self.result, *args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py", line 958, in <lambda>
    d.addCallback(lambda x: self.create_devices())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py", line 785, in create_devices
    v = dev_handler(self, dev, dev_index)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py", line 1085, in vm_dev_vbd
    defer = ctrl.attachDevice(idx, val, recreate=recreate)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/xen/xend/server/blkif.py", line 495, in attachDevice
    d = dev.attach()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/xen/xend/server/blkif.py", line 314, in attach
    node = Blkctl.block('bind', self.type, self.params)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/xen/xend/Blkctl.py", line 40, in block
    output = out.readline()
IOError: [Errno 4] Interrupted system call
Hopefully I am doing something dumb somewhere and there is a quick fix so I can get on to setting up my project page :)

Thanks in advance

Tom