[Xen-devel] Re: boot ok, can't login.

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: boot ok, can't login.
From: yi yang <yangyiyy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:17:10 -0500
Cc: pac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 04:52:54 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:58:11 -0600
From: Phil Carinhas <pac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] boot ok, can't login.

I was able to boot with a loopback filesystem. Lvm is strange.

I can seem to get past this point in the console:

kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console.
None of init seems to run.

-Phil Carinhas

Hi phil,

It seems now I have the same problem with you on my FC3 system. I
built the xen2.0 on FC3 using gcc3.3. Previously I cant build it by
gcc3.4.2, which is default gcc version of FC3. then people advised me
lowering the gcc version, I did that, then there is no error during
building.

But then I have the same problems as what you have now.

I had another machine, which is using FC2, and runing xen2.0 unstable.
 so I tried  transfering those boot files: xen.gz,  linuz-2.6.9-xen0
and so on  to that FC2 system under /boot. It can boot up and go to a
console,although the the console dumps it cant find some modules, it
can still go to the login.

The hardware of these two machines are totally same, the only
different is one is installed FC2, the other is installed FC3.  I am
not sure whether it is the FC peoblems.

Anyone has suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Yi
Here is the grub.conf  I am using on my FC3 machine. The similar one
is working on mty FC2 machine, I dont know what's wrong with the tty.
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=8
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title Xen 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6.9
  kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 com1=115200, 8n1
  module /vmlinuz-2.6.9-xen0 root=/dev/hda3 ro console=tty0 console=ttyS0

title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img