Re: [Xen-devel] Build process

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Build process
From: Philip Taylor <philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 22:39:44 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 06:09:57 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote on 08/11/2004 08:05:

Would it be possible/safe to use something like 'CC ?= gcc' and
'HOSTCC ?= $(CC)' (I hope that does what I expect) in all the relevant makefiles, so the compiler can be easily overriden? Or is there some other solution that I've missed?
Have you tried tricks like creating a symlink in a local directory to
your preferred compiler and adding it to your PATH? e.g.,
 # ln -sf `which ccache' gcc
 # PATH=`pwd`:$PATH make

Ah, that worked (after I apparently fork-bombed my machine and also corrupted python). But it turns out that Gentoo's Portage automatically makes ccache handle calls to 'gcc' anyway, and the problems with GCC 3.4 were straightforward to fix (see patch at http://zaynar.demon.co.uk/misc2/blkfront.patch - it needs inline functions to be defined before they're first called).

I believe my attempt at a kernel ebuild is generally working (using the 2.0 source release plus the above patch for GCC 3.4), though currently only for 2.6.9-xen0 and with a little too much manual intervention. It also compiles the rest of Xen + tools + docs without any problems, but doesn't quite know how to install them. Anyway, I should end up with something useful soon, so I'd be interested to know if anybody with Gentoo would be interested in testing/using it.

 -- Keir

--
Philip Taylor
philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx