Re: [Xen-devel] Really really small xen0

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Really really small xen0
From: "Mark A. Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:20:58 +0000
Cc: "Barry Silverman" <barry@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:27:04 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  I was wondering if anyone has made a really minimal xen0 image. By this
> I mean an image that doesn't have much more than the kernel (f/e and b/e
> drivers linked in), and run from a crom or squashfs filesystem, and a
> minimal set of tools running in a busybox-like init process.

I did something similar for the restartable device drivers work in the OASIS
paper.  I cut out everything I could from the kernel config and booted with a
tiny ramdisk, containing only a very small init (which Keir wrote to be a few
lines of assembler!).  This was a bit more minimal than you describe -
basically no userspace at all ;-)

To run device drivers, the domain shouldn't need any user space at all.  Its
runtime footprint was about 3megabytes.  There's currently no way to
configure bridging / routing this way tho - we'd need to add some control
interface messages.

HTH,
Mark