[Xen-devel] Newbie question: privileged vs. unprivileged domains

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Newbie question: privileged vs. unprivileged domains
From: Tomas Karpati <karpati@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:48:16 +0000 (UTC)
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:51:18 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Ian and thanks for your answers.

> > All boot OK. One problem is that for dom1 and dom2 recognize their
> > exclusive pci cards I have to run the xen0. I loaded the respective
> > modules only in the respective domains.
>
> You should add pci_dom0_hide=xxxx to the xen command line so that
> dom0 can't see the 2nd ethernet card or the sound card. See the
> user manual.

I tryed it in many ways:

   pci_dom0_hide=(00.11.5)(00.0f.0)  -> as in the manual
   pci_dom0_hide=(00:11.5)(00:0f.0)
   pci_dom0_hide=(00:11:5)(00:0f:0) ....

but nether of that hide the hardware to dom0. I checked the xen code and find
there was references to this:

   pcidev_dom0_hidden
   physdev_dom0_hide

I tryed both, but the only one that worked (and I'm using now) is the last
one, so my grub looks like this:

   root(hd1,1)
   kernel /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=65536 physdev_dom0_hide=(00:0f.0)(00:11.5)
   module /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-xen0 root=/dev/hdb2 console=tty0

It works now Ok. I thought there was a change in the term used that was yet
not updated in the documentation, but now that you mention the pci_dom0_hide,
I have corncerns if I did something wrong.

> > When I do that almost all is Ok, I can play some mp3
> > files. But when I run a server that depends on the soundcard I recive an
> > error like:
> >
> > Soundcard recieved SG Error, sound disabled
>
> SG error sounds like it might mean 'scatter gather' error. This
> probably means the driver is taking liberties as regards mapping
> memory regions, and needs to be fixed.

The problem was resolved, it was a mistake I made in a config and was not
related to xen.

> > Another problem is that I have a USB keyboard (no ps2 or serial
> > connectors on motherboard) and when rebooting dom1 or dom2 the server
> > freezes. I tryed to connect with ssh from my laptop with no response.
>
> Not sure I understand. Are you saying the freeze only happens
> when the USB keyboard is connected? This is totally weird.

This problem persist. I don't know where is the problem. When I shutdown dom1
(which runs also a priviledged domain) all the system crashes. I dont know if
being another priviledged domain, disconnecting form all its resources
affects also dom0. I'm running the same kernel (vmlinuz-2.4.27-xen0) in both
dom0 and dom1, but using different filesystems (dom0 on disk and dom1 loaded
from a file as a loop device) . Is this a wrong thing ? Does Xen manage the
resources passed to both domains denying on dom1 what is recognized by dom0.
I have this point not so clear.
When I do 'cat /proc/pci' in dom1 I only see the cards hidden from dom0, but
not other pci's (like USB controllers, Video card, etc) that are reported in
dom0. However, in dom1 the usb related modules are loaded as in dom0, what
makes me think that maybe this may contribute to the crash.

Thanks,

Tomas