[Xen-devel] traps and call back mechanism in XEN

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] traps and call back mechanism in XEN
From: Richard Ta-Min <tamin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:05:01 -0400 (EDT)
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:11:19 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how the trap and callback mechanism works
between a guest OS and XEN. When a guest OS starts up, it uses the
HYPERVISOR_set_trap_table() to register a set of traps with XEN.
For example, it registers the trap that will handle a divide_error or
page_fault exception.

Now when XEN gets an exception, XEN executes the do_trap() function that
is found in xen/arch/x86/traps.c.
do_trap() retrieves the current domain's trap information that was registered
with HYPERVISOR_set_trap_table() and fills in a structure called
"guest_trap_bounce". From that point on, I don't quite follow how the guest OS
comes into play to handle the exception. Could someone please give me some
directions.

Thank You
Richard