[Xen-devel] experience with gnbd

In the last couple of days we've been playing around with gnbd as
an alternative to iSCSI, as we found that the performance of the
current cisco linux iSCSI implementation was fairly awful talking
to our NetApp hardware target.

I'm happy to report that gnbd seems to work well. We've set up a
number of machines with dom0 running both the gnbd client and
server, giving us easy access to LVM volumes across the whole set
of machines.

I haven't tried it, but the csnap writeable snapshot driver looks
worth investigation too -- its design is rather more reassuring
than lvm2 snap.

On a separate point, has anyone any experience setting up either
the GFS / OCFS2 / Lustre cluster file systems? Are they ready for
primetime?

Thanks,
Ian

gnbd notes
==========

http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/gnbd/

./configure  --kernel_src=..//xeno.bk/linux-2.6.8.1-xen0/
make ARCH=xen

server side:
gnbd_serv
gnbd_export -vce ian-fc2-1 -d /dev/vg/fc2-1

client side:
insmod gnbd-kernel/src/gnbd.ko
gnbd_import -i server_name

The imported device is then available as /dev/gnbd/ian-fc2-1
e.g. disk = [ 'gnbd/ian-fc2-1','sda1','w' ]