Re: [Xen-devel] a Xandos data dump

To: tcranbrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] a Xandos data dump
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:00:09 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:11:31 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> While trying to track down the problem with booting Xandros, I got the
> attached data dump.  This is the entire console session.  Is this coming
> from Xen?

Nope. The crashdump is coming from the -xenU kernel. It seems to
be crashing in reiserfs, but I suspect this isn't the real
problem.

"unable to open initial console" is interesting. Has your
reiserfs root filesystem got a /dev/console device? What's the
major/minor?

Further, the "obsolete bdflush system call" suggests that the
file system is intended for an older 2.4 kernel rather than 2.6
(have you tried building a 2.4 Xen kernel -- "make linux24")?

The "set iopl to 3" is harmless, but suggests that something in
your init scripts is trying to access hardware very early on.
This is unlikely to cause things to break, but it's worth
eliminating. Perhaps there's a hwclock invocation in rc.sysinit?

One other thing to watch out for is that your /etc/fstab should
contain real device names rather than LABEL= lines. Also, don't
use devfs.

If you're able, put a tar ball of the installation up somewhere
on the web so that we can download and try and reproduce (tar
-zcpf).

Ian